Challenges and Prospects for a Blue-Green Aquaculture


Aquaculture grows rapidly compared to other sectors, producing balance between high quality protein and low carbon footprint. In Greece, fish products constitute the country’s most exportable animal origin product, with exports amounting to 78 % of the production (Mediterranean Fish Farming, 2020).


The annual growth rate of the sector, globally, is 5 %. Asia accounts for 92 % of world production with 102.89 million tons and a value of up to 200 billion euros, placing China, Indonesia and India at the top of the world rank for 2017 (FGM, 2019).


The EU’s contribution to global aquaculture production represented less than 2% of global production in 2018 (FAO 2020). EU imports over 70% of its seafood products. EU aquaculture production is concentrated mainly in four countries: Spain (27 %), France (18 %), Italy (12 %) and Greece (11 %), representing 69 % of the production volume and 62 % of the value of sales exceeding 1,880 million euros (FGM, 2019).


In 2019, 466.083 tonnes of gilt-head bream and European bass were allocated in the wider area of the Mediterranean, out of which, 120,500 tonnes worth 546.6 million euros were produced in Greece, noting an overall increase of 5.2 % compared to 2018.


According to the latest available data, in Greece, 63 % of the domestic fishery production was produced by aquaculture whilst the remaining 37 % from collectible fisheries. Greece is internationally ranked among the first two countries in Mediterranean fish production, accounting for 22.2 % of the production for 2018


Besides its financial contribution, aquaculture also contributes to social cohesion, offering more than 12,000 direct and indirect jobs in coastal and island regions where there are limited alternative employment prospects.


The dynamics of the sector, the attraction of foreign investment schemes and the accumulated know-how, allows Greece to lead European fish farming and gather representatives from European, Mediterranean and Arab countries, active in marine aquaculture.


Following the success of the 1st Aquaculture Conference in 2018, the 2nd Aquaculture Congress is organized by AMBIO SA ( with the support of the Hellenic Aquaculture Producers Organization ( The main focus of the congress is to point up the dynamics of the industry in light of recent developments on EU aquaculture guidelines and other initiatives such as “The Mediterranean: a model sea by 2030”, where the need for national and international collaborations are highlighted. The entire sector will be represented in the congress whilst, it will be attended by senior EU and governmental officials. Distinguished speakers from Greece and abroad will also participate.


Particularly important will be the presence of foreign investment schemes with a global reach, which have either invested in Greek Fish Farming or intend to invest in it, attributing an international character to the congress.


The main focus of the congress is to highlight the dynamics of the industry in light of the new CFP, the recent developments on EU aquaculture guidelines, the Green Agenda and related initiatives such as “The Mediterranean: a model sea by 2030”, where the need for national and international collaborations are emphasized.


The agenda will include the transition to a sustainable and competitive aquaculture, capable of contributing to climate neutrality, zero pollution, the development of the circular economy, ensuring nutritious and healthy food. At the same time, investment opportunities will be highlighted, promoting a spirit of cooperation between European, Mediterranean and Arab countries.